Wednesday, January 9, 2008

So what did I learn?

Now that the semester has officially begun, and my classrooms floweth over with students eager to absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely their own (anyone know from whom I yanked this particular definition of personal philosophy?) - more than partly because one of the lecture halls dealt to me by the Hand of Administration is on the smallish side - I can look back to my full year of mandatory pedagogic training and see what I am doing differently now compared to the Spring semester of 2007.

As usual, I am progressively going through my teaching material (slides, handouts) and updating them. Have I brought in anything of what I learned in the course? Not that I can tell.

Am I using a wider spectrum of tools? Sure; I am now using the blackboard more than I have for the last three years. Why? Because the lecture halls I've got this semester actually allows for the simultaneous use of PowerPoint and blackboard, which wasn't the case the previous three years.

What about my presentation tehchnique - anything new and improved? Possibly due to more experience, however, this was very marginally covered during the pedagogic course, and if I hadn't known of the tools presented there before i started teaching, I'd be an atrocious lecturer.

Techniques for improved crowd participation? Maybe - the jury's still out on this one.

There are some aspects of the training I haven't gotten to yet in this semester, but so far, my personal learning outcome is crap.

....I must be a horrible student.........it's like 50 says: "On the way to riches and diamond rings..."

..ahh; y'all know the rest

No comments: