Thursday, March 27, 2008

Getting a PhD - the MATLAB perspective

..not sure if this qualifies as "Oldie but goodie", but still. I should probably issue a geek alert here, as this joke won't make sense unless you've got some understanding of programming:

% phd.m
%
% author: Wilhelm
% date: 12/05/05

load CREDIT_HOURS

load THESIS_TOPIC

load MOREOVER_INSERT


while (funding==true)
(time <= 3 yrs)
course_load = run_experiment(CREDIT_HOURS);
data = run_experiment(THESIS_TOPIC);
manuscript = run_experiment(MOREOVER_INSERT);
PASS = query(subject_teachers);
GOOD_ENOUGH = query(advisor);
PUBLICATION = query(journal);
if (course_load > PASS; data > GOOD_ENOUGH; manuscript >= GOOD_ENOUGH; PUBLICATION >= 6)
graduate();
break
else
THESIS_TOPIC = new();
years_in_gradschool += 1;
end
end

....bet y'all would like to take my lunch money right about now

8 comments:

Anders said...

....bet y'all would like to take my lunch money right about now

That was my exact thought three lines into the code... :-)

Wilhelm said...

..I bet.....

Wilhelm said...

...so what's stoppin' ya, "big guy"? ;-)

Anders said...

Ooooh... Somebody's picking a fight, eh?

"In the blue corner, wearing blue trunks and weighing in at a stair-breaking 125 kg, the undisputed heavy-weight keyboard warrior and black belt carrying PC thug: WILHELM "MEAN MACHINE" HOGAN

In the red corner, wearing a striped sweater and black berret, and weighing in at a whoppin' 750 g, the frog eating and baguette-carrying:
P-DIDDY "LA VIE EN ROSE" PIGEON!"

I know where I'd put my money (or beer, if beer is the offical betting currency in here?).

Wilhelm said...

"Lemme tell you something, Brother...I was cruising down the highway on my Harley with a palm tre in one hand and a hippie in the other......and I was thinking how I was gonna train extra hard not to let all the li'l Hulkamaniacs down, Brother......so I went down to that gym and hit that iron HARD....so WHATCHA' GONNA DO....when Hulkamania runs Wild on YOU....BROTHER......."

Wilhelm said...

....any requests for other wrestling promos?

Anders said...

....any requests for other wrestling promos?

LOL.

Well, actually, I'm waiting for Pigeon to step up and put his money (or beer) where his mouth is...
;-)

Anders said...

...looks like the pigeon is chicken...