Thursday, June 12, 2008

Answers GQ2: The Revenge - Round 2

The field is getting more scattered already. The songs were:

  • Song 106: The Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch). Real classic song, and a really cool one at that. Much like Beethoven's Frühling sonata, you can't help but being in a better mood after having heard this tune. That's where the comparison to LvB ends, though. If you like this song and want to hear some more, I suggest you check out "Build Me Up Buttercup" by The Foundations - another late 60's classic.
  • Song 107: Chris Isaak - Wicked Game. Speaking of wicked, there's one note which is SO not in the pocket in my recording.........I can't even claim that it's merely syncopated, that's how out of sync it is. Damn. Anyhoo; personally I never could stand this song, or pretty much any song which invokes the ultracreepy Twin Peaks mood......spooky.
  • Song 108: Eminem - Lose Yourself. From the 8 Mile soundtrack - great movie; you oughta' check it out if you haven't already. Em's lyrical talent mixed in with some "Eye Of The Tiger"-esque guitar riffing - it works.
  • Song 109: Europe - Rock The Night. Never really liked this Europe song, but it was a big hit and it moved crowds, so we played it every now and then. One of the weakest songs on "TFC" in my opinion.
  • Song 110: Bryan Adams - Run To You. Instantly recognizable song from the Canadian Springsteen. Playing the guitar parts on this song gets boring in a hurry though. The things one used to do in order to sneak in some original tunes between cover songs...

One contestant reigned supreme (feel free to insert a Slayer reference here if you've got the inclination) in this round, had everyone else hang on the ropes and crushed any hope they might have had of surpassing him this time around. Who it was? Check out the Score for Round 2:

  1. Anders (10 points)
  2. Cathy/Sondre (tied at 8 points)
  3. ...
  4. Pigeon (2 points)

The Grand Poobah, The Total Score Now stands as:

  1. Anders/Sondre (tied at 14 points)
  2. ...
  3. Cathy (12 points)
  4. Pigeon (6 points)

Congrats to Anders for clawing his way up in the world, and good luck with Round 3!

10 comments:

Anders said...

This post just shouts out for a funny/ smart-assed remark from me, but can't think of any right now. Any tips?

Wilhelm said...

What do I know about being a smart-ass?

Anders said...

The Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch).
If you like this song and want to hear some more, I suggest you check out "Build Me Up Buttercup" by The Foundations

Or My Girl, by The Temptations or by Otis Redding. They're both good.

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
Speaking of wicked, there's one tone which is SO not in the pocket in my recording.........
It's a classic. Should be recongnizable regardless of tone. Mr. Isaak has done a pretty good acoustic version of this.

I never could stand this song, or pretty much any song which invokes the ultracreepy Twin Peaks mood......spooky

Neeh. It's pretty good as ballads go. And I never did watch Twin Peaks, so I'm not scared. Willy The Wimp... ;-)

Eminem - Lose Yourself.
I think I'm pretty good on the Em songs (that is Em as in Eminem, not E minor). After screwing up the first one, I think I've got them all.

Europe - Rock The Night
Didn't know any Europe songs apart from Final Countdown before I met my wife. Always considered them a one hit wonder kind of thing. But if you say they were huge in the 80's with several hits, who am I to argue?

Bryan Adams - Run To You.
The things one used to do in order to sneak in

Yeah, I can relate to that.

Anders said...

What do I know about being a smart-ass?

You're lacking the "smart" part?
:-D

Wilhelm said...

It's a classic. Should be recongnizable regardless of tone.

...tone? I musta' screwed up; it should be "note". Makes more sense then, no?

Neeh. It's pretty good as ballads go.

Compared to what?

Yeah, I can relate to that.

You is a bad, bad boi

Wilhelm said...

You're lacking the "smart" part?

Hey hey HEY!! >:(

Get with the program Mr. If we model this blog after others, we've only got two sets of behavior to choose from - either the poor Billy Graham impersonation ("If you only knew the powah of the LAWD-ah, you'd known better than to quote something but SCRIPTURE-ah, from the Holy BIBLE-ah, and I'm the only one who understands that-ah, so you must be in the wrong, and probably in league with the DEVIL-ah") or the Empty Suit "Yo I've got nothing to add, I'm just behind you all the way, bro. U Rock as usual. Right on, bro"

Anders said...

You're lacking the "smart" part?

Hey hey HEY!! >:(

Get with the program Mr.


Sorry 'bout that slip, there. Since I do a poor Billy Graham impersonation, I'll just go back to my usual sycophantic chanting. Let me try that again:

What do I know about being a smart-ass?

Yeah, you're a smart guy, bro, but I would never call you an ass!

Anders said...

...tone? I musta' screwed up; it should be "note". Makes more sense then, no?

Yeah, makes more sense. But still, you didn't screw up enough to make it unrecongnizable. Or, I haven't anything to add to this discussion, so I just stand behind everything you say.

"Neeh. It's pretty good as ballads go."

Compared to what?


Well, f.ex.: anything by Mariah Carey, anything by ex-Norwegian/American Idol contestants, Goodbye To Romance, anything by Michael Bolton or You Raise Me Up (that is a FREAKING annoying song).

I think Mr. Isaak has a pretty good voice, a bit sugary lyrics and guitar, but still. It works in a ballad. Not claiming that it's the best ballad every, but I have no problems with Wicked Game.

You is a bad, bad boi

Sometimes I'm nice, and sometimes and naaaasty.

PS: Kidding 'bout the Goodbye To Romance part. :-D

Wilhelm said...

...Good thing you were kidding about Goodbye To Romance, or we would have to meet at 7-11 tomorrow afternoon to throw hands >:(

Anders said...

...Good thing you were kidding about Goodbye To Romance, or we would have to meet at 7-11 tomorrow afternoon to throw hands

Actually, I did consider putting in YJM's Heaven Tonight there, but even mention that song in the same sentence as the examples above, would have been a grave sin that must be severely punished!
:-D