Saturday, October 18, 2008

Results GQ4: Deguello - Round 2

Man how things can turn around point-wise between rounds. The songs were:
  • Song 186: Ac/Dc - Highway To Hell. Y'all got this one, and I would've been major-league surprised if ya didn't. Still a classic tune that'll boost the repertoire of any cover band.
  • Song 187: Queen - I Want It All. The rhythm guitar track, without the initial lead which would've surely have given it away immediately. One of the Queen tunes one can include in the set list without having the need for a grand piano, an orchestra, a 16-piece choir and Freddie Mercury.
  • Song 188: O-zone - Dragostea Din Tei. Otherwise known as "The Song that Sondre Didn't Find", a fact I imagine he'll lord over y'all for some time to come. Don't have much more to say about this song, as I have no clue what it's about, despite having been told at least once. Numa numa yay.
  • Song 189: W.A.S.P. - Animal (F*ck Like A Beast). W.A.S.P. is what Mötley Crüe were trying oh so hard to be back before they self-destructed even their careers post-Feelgood. Nikki Sixx was even in a band constellation with Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. before he got Crüe going - a band project named "Sister" for all y'all 80's Sunset Strip music buffs. Unlike Crüe, W.A.S.P. has always possessed above the norm musicianship, and when he wants to, Blackie can write excellent lyrics, even. "Animal" is not one of those times, although it's a killer riff. For a lesson in what Crüe wants to be all about, peep in "Live...In The Raw" from '87.
  • Song 190: Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love. ........I feel like taking a shower; not only did I record Clapton material, I also reward people for recognizing the most overrated guitar player this side of Jimmy Page and Kirk Hammet.
Quite enough of that; the Round 2 Score Board looks like this:
  1. Pigeon (10 points)
  2. Sondre (8 points)
  3. Anders/Torbjørn (tied at 6 points)
  4. ...
  5. Cathy/Marius (tied at 4 points)
The Total Score
now stands as:
  1. Pigeon/Sondre (tied at 12 points)
  2. ...
  3. Torbjørn (11 points)
  4. Anders (10 points)
  5. Cathy (8 points)
  6. Marius (6 points)
Congrats to Pigeon
and good luck with Round 3!

9 comments:

Anders said...

Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love

You closet Clapton fan you... Not only did you buy the same kind of guitar as Clapton when you started playing, it seems that you just can't stop throwing us Clapton tunes on the quiz. Like Tears In Heaven, Wonderful Tonight and Sunshine Of Your Love. And even one of his best known covers, Cocain, disguised as a J.J. Cale tune. And at last, but not least: If you had the money, you would hire him to play at your own house

So, just admit it, you're a Clappo-fan. You'll feel much better with yourself afterwards.

:-D


...and congrats to our short and stubby bird for owning everybody this round.

Anders said...

O-zone - Dragostea Din Tei
...I have no clue what it's about, despite having been told at least once.


Pay attention this time, then:

Dragostea Din Tei
(Love from the linden trees)
by Haiducii (The Outlaw*)


Miya-hee
Miya-hoo
Miya-ho
Miya-haha
(Doesn't mean anything, but it sounds cool, doesn't it? Not really, but they still kept it in the tune)

Hello, greetings, it's me, an outlaw*,
I ask you, my love, to accept happiness.
Hello, hello, it's me, Picasso,
I sent you a beep, and I'm brave,
But you should know that I'm not asking for anything from you.

You want to leave but you don't want don't want to take me, don't want don't want to take me, don't want don't want don't want to take me.
Your face and the love from the linden trees,
And I remember your eyes.
(repeat)

I call you to tell you what I feel right now,
Hello, my love, it's me, your happiness.
Hello, hello, it's me again, Picasso,
I sent you a beep and I'm brave
But you should know that I'm not asking for anything from you.

You want to leave but you don't want don't want to take me, don't etc (as from above)

Miya-hee
Miya-hoo
etc

You want to leave but you don't want don't want to take me, don't etc (as from above)



*Yeah, this song really captures the brutal and rough outlaw mentality.

Wilhelm said...

Not only did you buy the same kind of guitar as Clapton when you started playing, it seems that you just can't stop throwing us Clapton tunes on the quiz.

Yeah; you've got me pegged alright...

Pay attention this time, then:

LOLZ

You want to leave but you don't want don't want to

..so this corresponds to "something, numa numa yay"?

...is this the actual translation of the song?????

Anders said...

..so this corresponds to "something, numa numa yay"?

...is this the actual translation of the song?????


What do I know. I only googled it. It's not like I ran out and learned Romanian just to translate this song. It just ain't that great, Wilhelm.

Wilhelm said...

Hey hey HEY! Show some respect for the classics! >:(

Unknown said...

We have an expert in this blog to validate Ander's translation !!!

So Cathy, what do you think ?

Anders said...

Validation is an important part of my work, so I'm excited about the feedback from the expert. If it's really bad, I might have to consider a career change. (In my case, that would be from "no career" to "a career", which actually doesn't sound too bad...)

Wilhelm said...

In my case, that would be from "no career" to "a career", which actually doesn't sound too bad...

Hey hey hey with the making of the jokes........you owe Rodney Dangerfield for that one, buddy. At least reference his "If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all" one-liner >:(

..not that RD had anything beyond one-liners, but still

Anders said...

So....
How 'bout that quality control of my translation? Inquiring minds want to know.