Thursday, April 24, 2008

How'd that happen?

Today I was really left holding the bag. My day started with an interdepartmental meeting about education, the result of which was that I'll be teaching approximately 25% of a new course to be offered in buzzword-heavy science. Ah; but additional teaching duties surely means a reduction in the remaining course load or some other form of compensation? Yeah; right. But surely it looks good on papyrus, like on a resume? I guess, but seeing as how nobody who's in charge of tallying and ranking academic staff actually care about how they perform pedagogically, it might get me some good karma but little of tangible value. I vividly recall how the instructors of my mandatory pedagogic course would speak of a bright new day coming now where making an effort pedagogically would matter a damn with respect to promotion and ranking. I'm not holding my breath... We'll all have flying cars or at least yellow jumpsuits before that ever comes to fruition.

And to top off this fine day, I was appointed coordinator for a PhD committee. Cool enough, you might say - surely that's an honor? Yeah well; if not for the fact that the duties fall exactly within the upcoming grant application and grading of exam season........

No comments: