Monday, April 21, 2008

Answers - guitarquiz 19

Difficult round, it appears. The songs were:

  • Song 91: David Lee Roth - Shyboy. "I've got to keep things movin' 'till my personality starts improving" - awesome tune, which was actually written by bass player extraordinaire Billy Sheehan and used in his old band Talas. In the DLR band version, it's got Steve Vai on guitar. The song clocks in at ~260 bpm, so it's movin' alright. I've never played with a bassist capable of doing this song, so I've never performed it live. Oh well.
  • Song 92: ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses. Really kewl song which - together with Eminem's Drug Ballad ranks as the two best Hangover Songs ever in my opinion. I have to admit that my recording does not do the song justice at all, as it's sloppy and kinda' off the beat here and there. My apologies to Pearly...
  • Song 93: Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place On Earth. None of y'all got this one, which surprised me until I realized that the guitar recorded here is quite a bit more overdriven and prominent than in the original...
  • Song 94: Wilson Pickett - In The Midnight Hour. Absolute classic, and there's really no excuse for not knowing this tune...
  • Song 95: Def Leppard - Love Bites. For whatever reason, I didn't listen to this song in my gigging days. If I had, I would have insisted on playing this rather than the infernal "Wonderful Tonight" or "Sweet Child Of Mine". This is a MUCH better power ballad from a guitar player's perspective (like; stuff actually happens guitarwise besides inane strumming)

This means that we have a clear winner of round 19:

  1. Cathy (6/10)
  2. Pigeon (5/10)
  3. Anders/Sondre (tied at 4/10)

And consequently, the Total Score looks like this before the final round:

  1. Sondre (128 points)
  2. Pigeon (112 points)
  3. Cathy (106 points)
  4. Anders (105 points)
  5. Torbjørn (6 points)

Congrats to Comeback Kid Cathy and to Sondre. Good luck with the final round...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Come on Cathy
Kick his norvegian ass !!!

Anders said...

I was waiting for you to rub my nose in it, P-Diddy...

Wilhelm said...

....speaking of rubbing noses in things.....what's it like knowing that even if you get ten points, Sondre can answer "Roch Voisine" on all songs on the last quiz and still beat you by a cool six points?

Anders said...

Congrats to Cathy again, for dishing out the remains of last round's can of whoop-ass.

Here are my takes:

David Lee Roth - Shyboy
Never heard the song. Can't say that Shyboy is a good description of DLR...

ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses
..it's that time again. To reach down in your pocket or the bottom of your purse.... The biggest hit from my favorite ZZ Top album, Degüello, the first record where the band members were sportin' their now famous beards. Check out A Fool For Our Stockings from that one, and the intro cover of Sam and Dave's I Thank You. A recording of the traditional Degüello played on horn followed by I Thank You played on the legendary '59 Les Paul nick named Pearly Gates is one of the greatest show openers in ZZ Top's history!* Two easy points here.

Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place On Earth
This is actually one of the 80's hit songs that I do know. But didn't have a chance to recognize it.

Wilson Pickett - In The Midnight Hour
A pub cover band classic. But The Wicket Wilson Pickett is one of my favorite soul acts, and I think this is a great tune, even if it's been overplayed by numerous cover bands. Best version I've heard of this is an allstar jam lead by Albert King and BB King, with people like Etta James, Eric Clapton, Paul Butterfield and a young Stevie Ray Vaughan. The lead guitar of SRV on this tune is just great! Another two easy points for me here.

Def Leppard - Love Bites.
Damn audio and orthographic challenged feline band! I recongnized this tune, but couldn't name it.



*And I guess that this is more ZZ Top trivia anybody in here would ever want to know and then some...

Anders said...

....speaking of rubbing noses in things.....what's it like knowing that even if you get ten points, Sondre can answer "Roch Voisine" on all songs on the last quiz and still beat you by a cool six points?

Are you saying that Roch Voisine isn't the correct answer to at least one of the tunes in quiz 20? You would think that in a 100 question guitarquiz, Roch Voisine would at least have one tune on the list!

Wilhelm said...

Never heard the song. Can't say that Shyboy is a good description of DLR...

LOL...not really, no

The biggest hit from my favorite ZZ Top album, Degüello

That is a cool album....

The Wicket Wilson Pickett is one of my favorite soul acts, and I think this is a great tune, even if it's been overplayed by numerous cover bands.

HEY!! :-(

Are you saying that Roch Voisine isn't the correct answer to at least one of the tunes in quiz 20?

..in so many words..yes

Anders said...

The Wicket Wilson Pickett is one of my favorite soul acts, and I think this is a great tune, even if it's been overplayed by numerous cover bands.

HEY!! :-(

HEY as in...? That it's still a great tune? You gotta admit that this is a classic tune played by many pub bands and that some of the regular pub acts may not be among the most talented musicians around...
Great intro, though, and even greater when it's backed up by a horn section (and that is not something you will hear me claim often...)

Wilhelm said...

...just the cover bands thing.....can't say that I agree with the horns comment though

Anders said...

...just the cover bands thing.....

Didn't mean to imply anything about your old cover band. And many cover bands (e.g. how many blues band are nothing but coverbands?) are quite enjoyable. But some songs due suffer a bit from over-exposure, but that's not the original tunes fault. Just like all those strat-armed Stevie Ray Vaughan-wannabies out there: It doesn't mean that SRV was a bad artist just because I'm tired of hearing all his copies...

can't say that I agree with the horns comment though

Oh come on. Even if you're a hardcore neoclassical/ true pirate metal fan to your bone, I know you have a soft spot for the saxophone...
:-D

Wilhelm said...

Didn't mean to imply anything about your old cover band.

..'cause we could've had a record deal you know........we came THAT close........

..just bustin' balls, bro

Oh come on. Even if you're a hardcore neoclassical/ true pirate metal fan to your bone, I know you have a soft spot for the saxophone...

If not hatin' Careless Whisper, Your Latest Trick and Another Day means I've got a soft spot for the saxamaphone, then fair enough

Anders said...

If not hatin' Careless Whisper, Your Latest Trick and Another Day means I've got a soft spot for the saxamaphone, then fair enough

...that, and the fact that you start tapping the beat when you hear Kenny G. in an elevator... ;-)

One thing that I can't figure out: Why is it that mr. Kopfler can incorporate instruments that I do not really like (steel guitar, flute, etc) and still make good songs?

Wilhelm said...

...and where else would I hear Kenny G?

Anders said...

...and where else would I hear Kenny G?

As background music in Gilmore Girls? What do I know; do I look like somebody who knows where to hear Kenny G.?

Wilhelm said...

You WISH a bigger fraction of your cd collection had Kenny G in it