Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Power Metal by the numbers

Yet another rough demo of the skeleton of an incomplete song (incomplete as in "no solo").



After coming up with the different parts and recording them, it's obvious to me that I've been heavily "influenced" by for example "I Want Out", "Power" and various other songs by Helloween, "Send Me A Sign", "Dethrone Tyranny" and "Follow Me" by Gamma Ray, and "Hunting High And Low" by Stratovarius. This would look really bad if not for the fact that many, many songs by rather famous power metal bands appear more related than what one would assume from random statistical occurrence of overlapping chord progressions etc.

Alternatively, I employed Scott Adams' originality formula:

Originality = Theft + Lack of talent + Time

2 comments:

Anders said...

(incomplete as in "no solo").You actually gonna cram in a solo in there???

"Hunting High And Low" by StratovariusBy a-ha, you mean, right?

Originality = Theft + Lack of talent + Time(nerd)
Shouldn't those be multiplied? 'cause if you just steal something and have the talent to instantly recreate the piece perfectly, it wouldn't be very original...
(/nerd)

Wilhelm said...

You actually gonna cram in a solo in there???

Sure; why not. Just double up, say the chorus, and off we go. Alternatively, I could do the YJM trick of soloing over the root note and then transposing it up a fifth

StratovariusBy a-ha, you mean, right?

'Nother song, same title. And I definitely meant the Strato one - the bridge and chorus, specifically

Shouldn't those be multiplied? 'cause if you just steal something and have the talent to instantly recreate the piece perfectly, it wouldn't be very original...

I see my feeble attempt at humor has failed due to an unforseen pencilneck derailment. :-) Not saying that you're wrong, but this is how I remember Adams defining the formula. It ain't an exact science, is what I'm thinking :-)