Sunday, August 3, 2008

Symphony Of Construction - 2nd Movement

FINALLY the front porch is as good as done - sans a second coat of wood lacquer for the stairs. There's some work waiting to happen next Spring, as the impregnated wooden parts need to dry out for about a year before we can apply paint, but for all intents and purposes, we're finished for the year. The attic is also about done now, meaning that my studio will be up and running in 2-3 days, and in another week or two, the library will be all installed. Sweet doesn't even begin to describe it.

The entrance to our house now looks completely different, and way more swanky. Also, doing something like making a new front porch plus stairs leaves a wonderful sense of accomplishment - even though it's practically taken our entire summer vacation to finish the project. Moreover, what in my opinion adds to this sense of accomplishment is that we did this without going all Tim the Toolman Taylor - everything is cut by hand saw, etc. No power tools were used, with the exception of an electric drill and an electric screwdriver ('cause manually doing all those ~400 screws for the porch would suck bigtime). Unless you've got a serious tool fetish - and I don't - I see absolutely no use in purchasing many kNOKs worth of professional equipment which gets used once every four years or less.

This appears to be one of the "guy genes" I'm missing, like the "watching soccer and sports gene", the "beer gene", the "car interest gene" the "shopping aversion gene", and the "not asking for directions or reading manuals gene".

Studio in T-2 days.

7 comments:

Anders said...

Unless you've got a serious tool fetish - and I don't - I see absolutely no use in purchasing many kNOKs worth of professional equipment which gets used once every four years or less.


I on the other hand, prefer to use project like this as an opportunity to buy some new gear. It does get the work done, and the cost of an addional tool is minimal compare to the cost of materials and such. So most of my tools are less then 1kNOK, even if I buy decent quality. I don't buy professional grade, 'cause I don't need it and often the professional grade equipment is too bulk and rugged for my use.

So, here is my collection of power tools and how frequent they are used:

Screwdriver
I use this all the time, and everybody should have one of these. Just as easy and quick to pick up as a regular screwdriver, but 10 times faster. Mine is with two batteries and with enough use as a drill.

Drill
My oldest piece of electric tools, probalby 10-15 years old. Could need to be replace, but I use my electric screwdriver as a drill, so no need for that yet. But the electric screwdriver doesn't have a hammer drill, which I need all those concrete walls and celings (used to live in a apartment block).

Planer
This is a mean tool, and it's great to do adjustments with. Get used approx. every second year, last used on my front porch and when I refurbished my kitchen bench tops two years ago. I don't even have a manual planer.

Sander
Bought this last year when I was grinding down my wooden floor (do that by hand, and you have my etearnal respect). Use it from time to time, and I still have to grind the floor on three more rooms, so this is gonna see some real action this year or next.

Jiqsaw
Very useful, and if you only gonna have one saw, this is the one to have. This is the one I grab for small jobs, and is a delight to cut curves and stuff like that. can even be used on parquet flooring.

Bench mounted circular saw
This is my most heavy and bulky piece of equipment. But I pull out out for larger project, because it's a dream to cut angels with. And it's faster and much straighter then the jigsaw. Used it last year to build some benches and shelves in my shed and the year before that on my back porch and kitchen renovation.

Hand held circular saw
Bought this one when I changed the kitchen tops two years ago, since I need to cut long, straight lines, which neither my jigsaw or bench-mounted saw could do.

Laser Level
Last years christmas present. Haven't used it yet (no large projects yet this year), but I will use it when I put some shelves up in my garage and for my storage. Of all my tools, I guess this is the one that will see least amount of action.

Bench mounted grinding wheel
Great to sharpen screwdrivers, knives and general work. Get used from time to time to small things. I hate blunt knives, so this is a good tool for me.

High-pressure washer
My newest tool, and I already love this one. Bought it this summer when I was painting my house. For a meer 300 NOK on sale, it was a steel. Saved me hours of washing and scraping, and I still find new uses for it: cleaning my ladder after painting the house, washing the car, removing the funky smell off the trash cans, etc, etc.

Anders The Tool Fetishist

Anders said...

This appears to be one of the "guy genes" I'm missing, like the "watching soccer and sports gene", the "beer gene", the "car interest gene" the "shopping aversion gene", and the "not asking for directions or reading manuals gene".

I'm real proud of myself for resisting the urge to post a witty/ sarcastic comment to this...

Wilhelm said...

Man; don't you get problems storing all this stuff?

Wilhelm said...

...and epic fail on your part for indirectly commenting on the "guy gene" thing

Anders said...

Man; don't you get problems storing all this stuff?

No. I used the tools to build shelves to store them on. :-D

Anders said...

...and epic fail on your part for indirectly commenting on the "guy gene" thing

But it wasn't witty and/ or sarcastic...

Wilhelm said...

No. I used the tools to build shelves to store them on. :-D

8-D