Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Answers GQ3: Mexican Standoff - Round 1

We've got some more contestants, which is always cool. And without further ado, the songs were:


  • Song 141: AC/DC - Thunderstruck. Maybe sped up a little - not much. Played this song many a time, but I overcomplicated it when I first learned it. I used to pick every single note, when in reality it's all left-hand tapping. At least it got me practicing alternate picking very early on.
  • Song 142: Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues. One of my favorite Gary Moore songs. This one blew me away when the album came out, and I practiced REAL hard to learn the song. Always a crowdpleaser - if ya play it well, that is.
  • Song 143: Joe Satriani - Ten Words. Archetypical Satriani ballad, which I believe he's performed at various shows and awards - probably why it seemed familiar yet none could figure out who or what it was.
  • Song 144: Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name. Another crowdpleaser, and one you can't not play if you're doing 80's rock covers. I really enjoyed Anders' tale of a small-time french band called Trés Bon Jovi, featuring Miou-Miou on backing vocals.
  • Song 145: Europe - The Final Countdown. The solo, rather. I didn't do John Norum justice at all with this recording - mea culpa. I can do better.

This means that we've got the following Score after the first round/total score:

  1. Anders/Cathy/Sondre (tied at 8 points)
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. Pigeon/Torbjørn (tied at 6 points)
  5. ...
  6. Marius (2 points)

Congrats to the winners and plenty props for participating. Good luck with round deux.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

F... Bon Jovi

Unknown said...

They're just scorpions wannabe

Anders said...

Yeah, you tell'em, pigeon! Jon got nuthin' on Miou-Miou!

Anders said...

Joe Satriani - Ten Words.
...it seemed familiar yet none could figure out who or what it was.


Yes, Satriani is one of those I consider I have a fighting chance of recognizing. But this tune I don't know. Probably because it isn't of the Flying In A Blue Dream-album...
:-)

Wilhelm said...

The tune is very typical Satch, though

Anders said...

The tune is very typical Satch, though

Yes, just saying I should have a chance of getting the artist right, since I'm familiar with Satch. I even have an album of him (though I'll never admit that in public). It's not like it's Megadeth or something. But I was clueless. I was leaning against more of a softer pop-artist, maybe female, 80's or something.

Unknown said...

I thought it was Wet Wet Wet

Wilhelm said...

LOL......epic