Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Answers GQ3: Mexican Standoff - Round 2

Was this round a hard one? From the answers, it appears so. The songs were:

  • Song 146: Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive. With a li'l something extra by way of extra notes and more distortion. Disco classic deluxe, and a song which was first taught to me by Dr. H back in the late 90's. I never thought about it then, but it's essentially the same song as the next:
  • Song 147: Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley. From the "Blizzard Of Ozz" album, it's by far my favorite Ozzy song, with my favorite Randy Rhoads solo. If you found this one, you'd know that I lifted major parts of the interlude and second guitar solo and superimposed it on "I Will Survive" - hence the possibility of an extra point here. 1) It's the same song, and 2) I put an entire section of one song into the other. So there.
  • Song 148: Destiny's Child - Survivor. Keyboard lick transcribed for guitar. Didn't Destiny's Child put this one out right before Beyonce went solo and ended the group? I'm a survivor/I'm not go'n give up indeed.
  • Song 149: Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive. From the movie with the same name, it's THE disco anthem. Not necessarily a good thing, but still.
  • Song 150: Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. At least two of you got the band right but went for "War Pigs". Compared to the slow drone of their self-titled song, "War Pigs" is like "Through The Fire And The Flames". Even though the main theme is really simple and often recognizable, we never played it live, on account of me not being able to play this few notes in a song. And this particular diabolus in musica kinda' loses it's ominous qualities when you're blasting some harmonic minor tapping or sweeping lick as it goes - trust me on that one.

Still quite close spacing on the results when we look at the Score for round 2:

  1. Cathy/Marius/Sondre (tied at 7 points)
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. Anders/Pigeon/Torbjørn (tied at 4 points)

Without further ado, here is the Total Score:

  1. Cathy/Sondre (tied at 15 points)
  2. ...
  3. Anders (12 points)
  4. Pigeon/Torbjørn (tied at 10 points)
  5. Marius (9 points)

Congrats to teh winners and good luck with round 3!

11 comments:

Anders said...

Congrats to the dynamic couple!

It seems that I've found my usual postion on the overall score. So nothing new there...

PS: Scr*w Ozzy and the drug-fuel metal horse he road in on. No bonus point for me this round. Kinda hard when you only recongnize one of the songs...

Anders said...

So, any plans for including any non-gay/non-metal songs in the quiz, Wilhelm?

...he wrote bitterly

Wilhelm said...

...I take it you've not paid much attention to the songs in Round 3?

....with some exceptions, they match your newfound criteria quite well

Should I just call you "Third" from now on?

Anders said...

....with some exceptions, they match your newfound criteria quite well

Yeah, there is at least one manly song in there. The other four on the other hand...
;-)


Should I just call you "Third" from now on?

By all means, I've been looking for a cool sounding nick for quite some time now...
;-)

Wilhelm said...

..you use the expressions of a man who's struggling to come to terms with his constantly being second loser :-)

Anders said...

Hey, now, wasn't the nickname meant to honnor my consistency in the guitar quiz and the fact that I'm always in the top trio?
;-)

Wilhelm said...

..I admire your ability to consistently reside at or marginally above the 50th percentile.

Better?

Anders said...

As long as you admire me and I aspire you to push yourself, it's fine by me...
;-)

Wilhelm said...

"Did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I would like to be. And I can soar higher than an eagle....'cause you are the wind beneath my wings"

Anders said...

"I can be your hero, baby.
I can kiss away the pain.
I will stand by you forever.
You can take my breath away."

Hang on! That didn't come out right. Somehow I got the songs mixed up...

Wilhelm said...

..it's all about Enrique for you, isn't it?