Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Nicholas Cage SLJ Factor

Since Teh Cage has been involved in a number of dubious projects to which I've recently been exposed, I thought I'd update his SLJ factor according to me. I've now seen a total of 20 Cage movies, chronologically listed below:
  • Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982) - Trite high school comedy with a storyline largely involving scantily clad teenage girls.
  • Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) - Absolute crap movie, but Teh Cage does a fantastic job as scumbag. Awesome acting on his part.
  • Raising Arizona (1987) - I'm ambivalent about this comedy, as it has it's moments. And John Goodman.
  • Amos & Andrew (1993) - Potentially a decent comedy, if not for the fact that it's got Samuel El Jackson pulling it down with all his considerable dead weight.
  • Guarding Tess (1994) - Passable comedy.
  • It Could Happen To You (1994) - One of my favorite romantic comedies and movies ever.
  • Trapped In Paradise (1994) - Decent heist comedy flick
  • The Rock (1996) - Really like this movie, with Sean Connery as a curmudgeonly but competent sidekick (or vice versa)
  • Con Air (1997) - I know tweetybird hates this movie for reasons unknown. I likes it, and Cage pulls off that SC accent very well.
  • Face/Off (1997) - Cage. John Travolta. John Woo. Awesome. NOT a remake of a french movie either, vulture boi.
  • City Of Angels (1998) - Another one of my absolute favorite movies.
  • Snake Eyes (1998) - Cage at perhaps his cockiest since Face/Off. Really cool movie.
  • 8 MM (1999) - Hated this movie. Don't care for it at all, but that might have more to do with it being disturbing well beyond what Blue Velvet has to offer in that department.
  • Gone In Sixty Seconds (2000) - What the hell...the best thing about this movie was the car Eleanor. The unholy presence of Angelina Jolie didn't help matters either.
  • Windtalkers (2002) - Snoozefest
  • National Treasure (2004) - Disney movie. I really like this movie, to the point that we actually bought it on DVD. Don't think tweetybird liked this either....
  • World Trade Center (2006) - Definitely not a feel-good movie, but I guess that wasn't the intention either.. Well-made and all, but sort of monotonous.
  • The Wicker Man (2006) - Totally decent flick, but nothing spectacular
  • Ghost Rider (2007) - .....passable if watched from the perspective of low expectations
  • Next (2007) - Not so good...........kind of crap, actually

Still, with 20 movies watched, Teh Cage gets an SLJ of ~0.6, even taking the overall decline into consideration.

4 comments:

Anders said...

Mmmh... I think I might have unconsciously given up on Nicky C. Last NC flick I saw was National Treasure (Disappointed deluxe! I thought this was a documentary about the greatest guitars ever made in the US of A! :-D ), which is three years old. It was a thumbs up movie, although not in the league of Face Off or Con Air.

Btw, 8 mm I didn't like either. Disturbing, yes, but I think I dealt with the problem in a very superficial and bad way.

Wilhelm said...

See? You're not hatin' on the Cage, and you liked Con Air and National Treasure (although you liked tha latter for all the wrong reasons).

Unknown said...

Con air !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're kidding right guys ?????????


This movie is so ridiculous !!!!!!

Anders said...

No, but you're list made me realise that it's been 3 years since I saw an Cagey movie. I do like NC, but I just wondered why I hadn't seen one of his movies for three years.