Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Word of the day: Quixotic

For some reason I stumbled into the political section of VG from following some link on the front page. As I was fixin' to move from that quagmire to - you know; actual news, my eyes wandered to the following header: Kystpartiet vil flytte hovedstaden til Trondheim (The Coastal Party wants to move the capital city to Trondheim). According to the leader of Kystpartiet Kjell Ivar Vestå, the distance between the public and the government is too large, and thus Kystpartiet wants to make the capital relocation part of their political agenda. Relocation of the capital will be an important step towards a unifying political stragety for the country, Vestå says.

In case you haven't heard of Kystpartiet before, here's a link to their web page (Norwegian only). This party is - according to themselves - a value conservative political party in the center of the political spectrum based on Judeo-Christian values and individual rights. I have no idea what percentage of votes they're gettin', but I'm thinkin' it's got to be close to the margin of error. I browsed through some selected sections of their party program, and the sum total of their plan for higher education consists of three very short paragraphs, which can be summarized as 1) Higher education should be free, 2) Universities should do research within the limits of available funding, and 3) More of our petroleum fund should be used towards fundamental research.

Yeah; I'm sold.

Relocating government from Oslo to Trondheim......talk about choosing your battles. Yo Vestå; I overheard them windmills over there badmouthing you...

5 comments:

Anders said...

I think someone deep down wants to live in the capital city... I'm guess somebody just now have sent a substansial donation to The Costal Party... Am I close here?
;-)

Seriously, what can you expect from a party that served whale burgers as their main election gimmick some years ago?

Wilhelm said...

LOL...why you gotta put me on blast like that?

Anonymous said...

I hope they will not physically move Oslo to Trondheim. That could cause some problems.

I don't understand why they want to use another city either. I would imagine that Kystpartiet wanted Røst or Sør-Varanger to be the capital.

Wilhelm said...

I hope they will not physically move Oslo to Trondheim. That could cause some problems.

Hey; that'd be a good Gerhardsen-like plot to reduce unemployment and increase GNP in these times of fiscal hardship

I would imagine that Kystpartiet wanted Røst or Sør-Varanger to be the capital.

..and Trondheim is remarkably similar to either of those places, hence the choice? :-(

Anonymous said...

..and Trondheim is remarkably similar to either of those places, hence the choice? :-(


Hey, that's your words, not mine.
After all, I live in a place with måker i kommunevåpenet, and sild as their identity (Pardon my french). Closer to Røst than that is not possible outside Lofoten.