Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Snåsa man

It's been a lot of media coverage the last months/ weeks about "Snåsakallen" (the snåsa man) and his healing power. Especially health minister Bjarne Håkon Hansen has gotten a lot of media attention for stating that Snåsakallen healed his baby son for colic over the phone. Many politicans share his belief in alternative medicine, among them half of the members of the commitee of Health and Care Services. And minister of fishery, Helga Pedersen, even went so far that she stated that she was provoked by people who dismissed Snåsakallen's powers.

I won't go into that debate of whether Snåsakallen have real powers or not. But I came over this article by regional director of Norwegian Consumer Council, Terje Kili, which raises an interesting question: If such a large number of politicans truely believe in alternative medicine, why don't they see to more funding to alternative treatments? I would go even futher and ask, if they believe healing/ alternative treatment is equally or more effective then traditional medicine, why not cut the funding to healthcare and channel that money into alternative medicine? It is cheaper, no sideeffect and Snåsakallen has treated over 50 000 people. I don't think many medical doctors can come close to that...

5 comments:

Wilhelm said...

I've got no beef with Joralf Gjerstad. To the extent I've been following the debate/issues, dude doesn't charge or advertise his alleged powers, has frequently referred his "clients" to conventional health care providers, and isn't the one who hyped himself in media. Irrespective of whether or not he's got his abilities, dude appears to be a caring and decent guy.

Considering this, I kind of think it sucks that he is always referred to not as a real person with a name, but "Snåsakallen".

Also; if the minister of health has that little faith in our health care system, it puts things in perspective, right? Kind of like the CEO of General Motors driving around in a Nissan

Anders said...

dude doesn't charge or advertise his alleged powers

No. But he channels all the money into his charity fund and just published a book about his powers. So....

dude appears to be a caring and decent guy.

indeed he does. I truely believe he is a caring person, and I don't think he's been doing anything wrong. But the dude wasn't actually the point of my post. The point was: If policians believe in healing and alternative medicine, why don't they see that healers and their patients get more funding? It would be the logical implication of believing in healing.

Considering this, I kind of think it sucks that he is always referred to not as a real person with a name, but "Snåsakallen".

Appreantly, he preferes to be called that.

Also; if the minister of health has that little faith in our health care system, it puts things in perspective, right? Kind of like the CEO of General Motors driving around in a Nissan

LOL. Yes, you nailed it

While I do share mr. Hansen disbelief in our health care system, but that doesn't mean I have any faith in alternative treatments...
;-)

Wilhelm said...

No. But he channels all the money into his charity fund and just published a book about his powers. So....

It ain't an autobiography, and odds are it wasn't even his idea to begin with. Be that as it may, the fact that he's been getting monetary gifts constitutes a lose-lose situation for the man. 'Cause if he'd kept the money for himself, he'd be labeled as greedy, etc. Now that he's got that fund thing, he's probably accused of simply creating hype and increased revenue for this purpose, etc.

Dude can't win

But the dude wasn't actually the point of my post.

Not really mine either - just some pre-emptive statements so as not to draw angry comments from people with an abundance of scented candles in their homes, who would not be as sympathetic towards keeping the discussion mainly within the boundaries of your main point.

Because I care :-)

Appreantly, he preferes to be called that.

My bad, then.

While I do share mr. Hansen disbelief in our health care system, but that doesn't mean I have any faith in alternative treatments...

That's the spirit!

Anonymous said...


Helga Pedersen, even went so far that she stated that she was provoked by people who dismissed Snåsakallen's powers.


Ah, we are so tolerant these days, it makes me sick.

And while I'm at the topic of sickness, I think I got remotely healed lately. Wednesday, I got sick. I thought of Snåsakaillen, and now, only two days later, I'm almost completely well again!

Wilhelm said...

Wednesday, I got sick. I thought of Snåsakaillen, and now, only two days later, I'm almost completely well again!

Praise da Lawd-ah....fo' He has reached out to you in You in your time of Need-ah, and cleansed you of the Devil-ah