Saturday, July 7, 2007

Guitar review: Takamine EF-261SBL





Takamine EF-261SBL
This guitar is an electro-acoustic flattop with cutaway, meaning that it has a built in piezo pickup under the bridge. Bought it new in ’98 (not sure ‘bout the year) from Hagstrøm musikk.

Features: 9
A small bodied electro-acoustic guitar with cutaway. It has a solid cedar top, laminate mahogany back and sides in black gloss finish with white and soundhole rosette and body binding. Mahogany neck with a rosewood fret board with medium sized nickel frets and no binding. It has a 1 9/16" nut and a two piece compensated saddle, both made of bone which isn't always the case in this price range. The electronics are an under the saddle pickup and a built in graph-EX preamp with the controls on the upper bout near the neck. The chrome endpin doubles as a jack socket, no strap pin on the neck side.

The body shape is what Takamine calls FXC, which means a small upper bout, narrow hip and a lower bout that has a full dreadnought width. A 25 3/8" scale length, nickel Gotoh tuners and silver Takamine logo. And six (count'em six) strings, which in my case is usually a standard set of 012s or 013s phosphor bronze, but I've tried as light as 010s.


Sound: 6
This is actually a difficult one. This guitar is really meant to be plugged in, and has a design that is optimized for that. And there is no secret that this has taken its toll on the acoustic sound. However, it still is an acoustic guitar, which means I should say something about the unplugged sound.

Unplugged the Takamine sounds a bit muted and little complex. It is a small body, so it one should expect a huge dreadnought sound with lots of bass. Still, the loss of tone is probably due to the construction rather then body shape. I've played smaller guitars then this that have a huge tone. I've read raving reviews of the unplugged sound of these Tak's, but those are from people with their ears up their @ss. Takamines are not built for pure acoustic tone.

But this guitar is designed to be plugged in and used as a stage guitar, in it's when it's plugged in this guitar shines. The bridge piezo and graph-EX preamp is as good as it gets (for a piezo, that is). The graph-EX has a three band equalizer and volume control for dialing in your tone.


Action, Fit&Finish: 10
It's manly black!

Action, Fit&Finish (serious): 7
There is nothing negative to say about the workmanship, the guitar looks solid and well built, both on the outside and inside. Tight fit on all parts and no glue residues anywhere. The finish has held up very well over the years, and there are only a few scratches after my abuse. However, the finish is a bit on the thick side, which is a bad thing for acoustic instruments.

I can't remember how the action was from the factory, but Hagstrøm did a great setup for me, so it's now low and buzz free. Maybe a tad on the low side for hard strumming or slide, but for flatpicking and fingerstyle it's good. The frets are very good, I like the size and feel of them, and the fret job is really superb. Smooth all the way down the neck, nice and even. And the cutaway gives extra reach at least up to the 17th fret.


Reliability/Durability: 9
I never played the Takamine live (living room strummer, anyone?), but it has survived several flights and I haven't done much maintenance other then changing the preamp battery and wipe it down with a rag once in a while. And it hasn't needed anything else, the neck is rock solid and frets still in pretty good shape (but then, I'm used to worn down guitars anyway). As stated above, the finish is still nice and shiny.


Overall Rating: 7
Really like the comfortable body shape, the frets and the plain look of this thing. One the negative side, it could have had a wider nut, thicker neck and a better unplugged sound.

Edit:
Until I figure out how to do this better, here are some MP3 samples on plugged vs unplugged sound of the Tak':
Plugged in.
Unplugged.
Some basic finger-picking, strumming and a taste of flat-picking in there. The tracks were recorded simultaneous.

7 comments:

Wilhelm said...

Cool review! I think you bought this one in '98 - you lived in that basement apartment close to Minde. Svaneviksveien, right?

Piezo-hookups are the acoustic equivalent of a floating trem system, aren't they? How do you feel about the plugged sound in this one? What range can you get out of it? Ever tried it with an overdriven amp setting?

Anders said...

Apartment-shcmartment. You mean that moist cave with running water and electricity? Yeah, I bought when I lived there. But I'm not sure if it was '97, '98 or '99. Most likely '98. I have the recipe from it somewhere, but haven't bother checking it out.

The plugged in sound is great, I've think I've stated that in the review. This guitar is built to be played plugged in, and does that great. I would rate the sound to a 9 or something, if I just considered the amplified sound. However, every piezo I've every heard gives a slightly nasal quality to the tone. So does this one; the sound just doesn't magically morphs into pre-war dreadnought mode when you plug it in. That said, it does sound amazing plugged in. It is one of the best plugged in sounds on the market. Even with this 10 year old preamp and pickup. In fact, if I record this one, I will use the pickup rather then a mic. Plug it in, and you have a whole range of sounds. The equalizer and the "exciter" control (forgot to mention this in the review) really helps you dial in your tone. Add some effects, and you got everything from blues, ballads, bluegrass strumming covered. I really thought of adding a short sound clip to show the plugged vs unplugged sounds, but I don't think it's possible to upload sound clips to this blog. If I figure it out, I might add some later.

PS: Check out the fingerboard wear on this one. Even down to the 9th-12th fret. Who would have thought I played that far up the neck, eh?

Wilhelm said...

Check out the fingerboard wear on this one. Even down to the 9th-12th fret. Who would have thought I played that far up the neck, eh?

Yeah; I'm impressed. I thought you stayed in the third-to-seventh-fret area. Lemme know if you figure out how to post sound clips, 'cause you KNOW i'd like to do just that....

Anders said...

I thought you stayed in the third-to-seventh-fret area

Seventh? Hey, that's really far up. Over half way up the neck on mye Style O. ;-)

Added the sound samples (in all it's sloppy glory) "old school" style. If I'll figure a better way to do it, I'll edit the post.

Wilhelm said...

...cool with the sound files, but there's got to be a better way of doing it, yes? If not; could I upload sound files to your page and link to them if I feel like it?

It'd be cool to make som "betcha can't play this" with sound and notation or whatever with different riffs, licks, runs, scales, techniques and whatnot

Anders said...

If there are a free service like YouTube for music, it would be possible to upload music to that one and embed the player in the blog? So far, I can't think of any such service.

But shoot me a mail with MP3s and I'll upload and send you direct links in return.

Wilhelm said...

Kewl! I'll just do that once I've got some product.