Sunday, July 15, 2007

Five movies

....mostly from 2006.

Dreamgirls (2006)
I had my hopes up for "Dreamgirls", seeing as how I'm a sucker for movies based on musical careers. Alas, even though it started off pretty good, it totally failed to live up to my expectations. About 20 minutes in, the plot started to strongly resemble a black "Sound of Music", where everybody breaks out into impromptu musical numbers at the drop of a hat throughout. For magical reasons, whenever they rehearse songs with just a piano as backing, a full orchestra inevitably joins in by the first chorus, despite it being a mostly empty rehearsal room. Perhaps some of my dislike stems from the realization that R&B sounds exactly the same to me, so after over two and a half hours of allegedly different songs - which, had they not have been separated in time and by different costumes - would have appeared to play in a loop. I've heard that American Idol-finalist Jennifer Hudson have gotten rave reviews for her vocal performance in "Dreamgirls", based on her being able to scream louder than any of the other performers. Here's a tip; music is about two things - melody and dynamics. Singing at top volume all of the time whilst applying a vibrato almost a third across isn't indicative of skills at all. Try to hold a note every once and again, and don't equate volume to quality, ya epic Aretha-wannabe. On the plus side, Eddie Murphy does a great job, something I haven't seen since the late 80's. Curiously, the story describes something eerily similar to what happened to Beyonce Knowles as she manipulated away the rest of her band - All Saints or whatever. The rest of the girls in that band - managed by Beyonce's dad - were totally squeezed to the back of the line-up to make room for Queen B, and we all know what happened when the band split up. Beyonce - being the star, continued with the exact same music and made tons of money. Her former band mates, or whatever you'd like to call them, now work in the drive-through of some Chili's or Red, Hot&Blue in Georgia. Some people get the elevator, and some people get the shaft (not a Samuel El Jackson reference, by the way).

Blood Diamond (2006)
I'm starting to revise my opinion of DiCaprio, as he pulled off a good performance in this movie. Also, Djimon Hounsou did a fantasic performance as the poor fisherman who was robbed of his family in a militia raid. My only problem with the movie was that they stretched it out for too damn long, as they could've easily have cut out 40-45 minutes. The ending was really good, though, despite Arnold Vosloo's character dying.

Smokin' Aces (2007)
What the hell was this supposed to be? This was a bad ripoff of "Lucky Number Slevin" and "The Big Hit" - both infinitely better movies, I might add. First off, Ben Affleck is billed as one of the major casts in the movie, yet he dies after ten minutes, without any major scenes whatsoever. Andy Garcia, the other "big" name, has something like five minutes of facetime. They might as well have put DeNiros name on the marquee based on filming a random streetside encounter with him. Also, the "big finish" with Primo Sparazza and Freeman Heller being one and the same guy could be spotted by a blindfolded Ray Charles with the screen in another room. Seems like they just tried to slam everything in at once, like in the two previously mentioned movies - inbred redneck neo-nazis, big guns, militant cornrow barbies with a female Huggy Bear/Shaft-looking character, a scary mexican-like character, some slang-spewing stereotypes of various ethnicities and professions - it's been done. Nothing was original about this movie, and none of the performances were memorable. Next.

Apocalypto (2006)
Fascinating - both with respect to story, performances, set, costume, location - everything. Spectacular, and with the last 20 or so minutes being a jungle-set throwback to Home Alone. See it to find out what I'm rambling on about - it's well worth the time and dime.

Invincible (2006)
Disney-production of the true story of bartender and football (as opposed to soccer) fan Vince Papale trying out for the Pittsburgh Eagles and eventually making it - the quintessential underdog story. Mark Wahlberg pumped up from his usual ripped self to add some more water-weight in order to look like a 70's football player, and he succeeds. I'm a big fan of his anyways - after "The Big Hit" and "The Italian Job" and "Rock Star", he's proved himself in my book. And he doesn't disappoint in "Invincible" either - a really cool movie.

11 comments:

Anders said...

I did see Smokin' Aces a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't think it was half bad. Mind you, I haven't seen Lucky Number Slevin or The Big Hit, so I can't say anything about rip off. It was an OK action flick to pass the time with, but nothing more. And I too thought it was bogus to set Ben Affleck up as starring.

Saw the latest Harry Potter this evening, review coming up tomorrow. Now it's bedtime for little boys like me.

Wilhelm said...

Whaddoyamean you ain't seen "The Big Hit" - We've rented it on at least one occasion back when you lived in Svaneviksveien, ya big wuss

Anders said...

Oh, you mean that The Big Hit. Why didn't you say so, then?

Yeah, I remember vaguely seeing it now that looked it up. My bad.

Unknown said...

I liked very much Blood Diamonds and Apocalypto. I tried also Smokin Aces this week end. Stopped after 30 minutes. It was damn bad.

I have to watch invicible now. Looks good.

Wilhelm said...

Smokin' Aces sucked big time fo' sho'. You should totally watch Invincible if you like football (not soccer - football). The only football movie I've seen that I like better is Remember The Titans. Why Denzel didn't get an award for that one is beyond me.

Anders said...

I tried also Smokin Aces this week end. Stopped after 30 minutes

Well, after 31 this movie really took an unexpected turn to the better. Man, don't you feel stupid now for stopped the movie? ;-)

Seriously, I didn't think it was that bad, folks. It's not on par with The Godfather or something like that, but I think it was an OK movie. I probably would have given it a thumbs up on the SLJ-factor. Am I the only one that thinks that? Am I weird? Do I need to get out more often? Or maybe I was just in the mood for some really empty-minded shooting that day...

Wilhelm said...

Dude; I started watching the movie from the perspective that it had pretty good odds of being a nice piece of mindless shoot-em-out entertainment, but I soon realized that it was a new "Desperado". This one makes "House party II" look like "Heat".

Try "Lucky Number Slevin".

Anders said...

...I liked Desperado as well... (running for cover)

Wilhelm said...

Yeah; I seem to remember that you liked melissa bandidos in Desperado..........you still cling to the notion that it was a spoof, rather than a horrible action movie?

Anders said...

It is a copy of El Mariachi. And not just based on, it's the same movie with different cast.

But yeah, unintentionally or not, I thought it was funny. But hey, it got Cheech Marin in it; it can't be serious? I liked it, despite starring Melissa Banderios and Salma Hayek.

Wilhelm said...

...so a movie starting aith a title starting with "El" doesn't tip you off as being a prime candidate for major suction?