Friday, June 8, 2007

Pop/Rock concert wish list

In light of the fact that TNT, Black Label Society and Ozzy Osbourne play in Trondheim today, I thought I'd list acts I'd really like to experience in a live setiting. I wasn't at the BLS/Ozzy concert today - by choice, I might add - seeing as how I think the present incarnation of Ozzy is primarily a scheme to line Sharon Osbourne's pockets, plus the fact that the self-proclaimed Prince of Darkness hasn't produced anything worth listening to since "No More Tears".

Anyhoo; this is my list - feel free to follow suit. I'm gonna list both acts I would've liked to see, and acts I'd like to see again.

  • Yngwie J. Malmsteen: Sooner or later I'm gonna see Yngwie. It almost happened in Charlotte, NC back in 2001, but grad school duties came in the way. Dammit!
  • Last Tribe: This Swedish AOR/Power Metal act is really high on my list. What? You've never heard about LT and Magnus Karlsson? For shame!
  • Steve Vai: In or out of a G3 setting - I don't care. It's probably gonna be a total guitar nerd extravaganza...so right up my alley. Hopefully with Billy Sheehan on bass.
  • Joe Satriani: Same as above
  • Kamelot: This US/Norwegian power metal act played Rockefeller in May, and they've released the best live DVD I've ever seen. Next time...
  • Angra: Brazilian power metal. Ideally with Andre Matos on vocals, but the odds of that are rather slim...dude could totally pull off Kate Bush songs.
  • Edguy: German power metal led by the inimitable Tobi Sammet
  • Symphony X: NJ power metallers with monster shredder Michael Romeo
  • Dream Evil: Ideally with Snowy Shaw on drums. Are you prepared to get evilized?
  • Firewind: Saw them in October 2006 - I'd love to see them again
  • Dragonforce: Witnessed their first ever Norwegian concert last fall. Yes; they're actually able to pull the solos and whammy bar stuff live
  • Dio with Vivian Campbell on guitar: Last In Line, We Rock, Rainbow In The Dark, Holy Diver, Don't Talk To Strangers......Look Out: The Sky is falling DOWN!!!
  • Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads: Alas, this won't happen, seeing as how Randy passed away in 1982....
  • Poison: Nuthin' but a good time, I tells ya
  • Van Halen with David Lee Roth: Not gonna happen...
  • Van Halen with Sammy Hagar
  • Extreme: If they ever get it together - I'm there
  • White Lion: The original line-up, not Mike Tramp and four hired musicians.
  • Bon Jovi: I've played so many of their songs live, it'd be cool to see how they do it
  • Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time/Seventh Son tour. Not the current version
  • Megadeth: Dave is always Angry Again...preferably with Marty Friedman or Al Pitrelli on lead guitar
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan: Pretty much the only pure blues guitarist I like, and dude's dead. Bummer.
  • Europe: ...why not?
  • Billy Joel: The urban Bruce Springsteen...you bet I'd like to see him live.
  • George Michael: We just missed him in the Fall of 2006...MAJOR bummer.
  • The Kids: I've recently discovered why Dag Ingebrigtsen and Torstein Flakne have been consistently successful for so long.
  • DeLillos: Feelgood music with Oslo west accent
  • Skid Row with Sebastian Bach: ...like that'll ever happen
  • Wig Wam: Good showmen, and Trond Holter is a monster guitarist
  • Roxette: We're so there if the opportunity presents itself
  • Running Wild: Pirate metal rules like it's nobody's bidness'
  • Dokken: If they can manage to stay together without self-combusting onstage
  • Whitesnake: The 1987 era with Steve Vai, Adrian Vandenberg and Billy Sheehan.
  • David Lee Roth: Line-up from Eat'em And Smile - again Vai and Sheehan
  • Gary Moore: If either someone could provide me with a time machine or if someone could convince him to cut out the bluesy stuff he currently insists on bothering the audience with. Whichever is more likely - I just want to hear Dirty Fingers, Back On The Streets, White Nuckles, etc.
  • WASP: "The Headless Children" tour
  • Frank Zappa: Another dead dude
  • Queen: Ditto. Witnessing the "Live Killers" gigs would've been awesome, I tells ya

...and that's all the acts I bothered to list......quite a few, actually

7 comments:

Anders said...

WHIIIIIIIIITE KNUCKLEEEEEEEEEEES!
:-)

So, no Hendrix? Even if you had that time machine?

Ditto on: Joe Satriani, Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, DeLillos, Gary More, Zappa & Queen.

And a few more of my dream concerts:

Currently living:
- ZZ Top: Always fun (though the dream would be the World Wide
Texas Tour from '76). Cancelled a concert two hours drive from here THIS
MONTH!
- The Rolling Stones: Yeah, they did a tour last year, but I don't think the price was worth it. But I still would go see them, preferable with that time machine (and Keith belongs to the list below, he just doesn't know it)
- Corey Harris: Acoustic solo or electric with a band, I don’t care.
- Alvin Youngblood Hart: Just as above. Have seen him solo acoustic twice, and it’s great.
- James Cotton: Great harp-player and vocalist. Lost his voice now, but would love to have seen him earlier or with Muddy.
- Johnny Winter: his health isn’t too good these days, but would have loved to seem him in the early 90’s or earlier.
- Hubert Sumlin: Maybe the best concert I’ve ever been to.
- B.B. King: Currently makes crappy records (sorry, B!), but can still put up a great show.


Dead ones
- R.L. Burnside: Saw him in a double act with T-Model Ford. Man,
those dudes could rock!
- Rainer: My all time favorite musician. A solo acoustic show, or
acoustic with guests. Or electric with Das Combo. Or a sit-in with Giant San... Check him out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndpJ7z0ByOU&feature=PlayList&p=F3A4ADA596A1976C&index=11
- Chris Whitley: Another one that died too early. Managed to see
him once before he passed. Rebel poet with the National...
- Jimi Hendrix: Preferable on concert were he wasn’t too far out...
- Elmore James: He only had one riff, but that’s the one that counted. The most recognizable slide riff in electric blues.
- Skip James: Wonderful falsetto vocals, not typical blues. But still great.
- Muddy Waters: The greatest electric bluesman ever lived. Maybe only rivaled by
- Howling Wolf: Man, what a voice this guy had.

Really dead ones:
- Robert Johnson: So many people tries to duplicate his licks from the records, it would be great fun to see if Mr. Johnson played just like the record, or if he improvised. And what songs he really played (was it more then just straight blues?)
- Tommy Johnson: The other Johnson, which according to the myths was the original “sold my soul to the devil” blues dude.
- Blind Willie Johnson: The greatest slide guitarist of the 30’s.

And many more, but these are the ones on top of my head right now.

Wilhelm said...

I'd be that guy way up in front, screaming for White Knuckles and Blood Of Emeralds.

No Hendrix for me - I wouldn't waste a trip in my time machine to see him. I'd much rather see Albert King, Wes Montgomery or Charlie Christian.

ZZ Top would probably be cool to witness live - I didn't think about that. Didn't we see a concert with James Cotton in Bergen some years ago? Or was it some other harmonica-guy?

And who was that young guy who played just before Robert Johnson's nephew?

I wouldn't bother seeing a concert with the Stones if they played at a barbecue next door - in my opinion they're famous mostly due to the fact that they were the bad boys of rock while Beatles were the goody-two-shoes pop act. And they had no competition whatsoever. It's damn easy selling albums when you're one of two acts recording on major labels

Anders said...

And who was that young guy who played just before Robert Johnson's nephew?

Kelly Joe Phelps? Or do I mix up two concerts now? What was the young dude playing?

I think it would be cool to see Hendrix, mostly because of the historic importance. And preferable at a time when he wasn't completely wasted. Preferable one of his early London gigs.

I think we saw Junior Wells or Billy Branch together. I've seen both. I haven't seen James Cotton.

Keith's riffs would be the main reason for seeing Stones.

And I forgot: Townes Van Zandt. I saw him on the last concert he did in Norway. Huge songwriter.

But of course, if I could chose, I would love to have been the one shouting Judas to Dylan when he went electric... ;-)

Oh, btw, I think you forgot to add Clapton to your list. I think he's out with an all acoustic album of Robert Johnson covers these days. Should be right up your alley!

Wilhelm said...

Kelly Joe Phelps was the guy. That mofo was pimp-strollin' in with an electric, and I had my hopes up before he flipped that sumbitch' 90 degrees and laid it on his lap.

Damn!

What do you think the odds were of catching a Hendrix show where he wasn't whacked out on acid?

Anders said...

I had my hopes up before he flipped that sumbitch' 90 degrees and laid it on his lap.

It was an acoustic. But the look on your face was nothing more then priceless! I would gladly pay the ticket price just to see that face again. :-)

But he's actually good. I've seen him again, and would go see him again if he plays in town.


What do you think the odds were of catching a Hendrix show where he wasn't whacked out on acid?

Just slightly better then catching Keith Richards sober on a Stones gig?

Wilhelm said...

...MAN was I disappointed when KJP pimp-strolled onto the stage. Are you SURE it was an acoustic?

Anders said...

Yes, I have all his records...

But, would it have made any difference at all if he had an electric?