Friday, June 22, 2007

Car music

Since it's Friday, I thought I should liste the CDs I've been listening to in the car this week. (Ok, I admit it, this is another twist on "playlist" or "best of..").


Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Typical Waits record, from the mid 80's. Has a couple of other, but this one was the one that made it to the car this week. A lot of the typical Waits percussion (which I guess Kaizers Orchestra has been inspired by) and the signature Waits vocal. The album is best when the songs have simple arrangements, like Gun Street Girl and Bride of the Rain Dog (a beautiful instrumental, Mr Waits often has one of these on his albums).



Fabulous Thunderbirds - Hot Number
What can I say, early T-birds and it got Jimmy Vaughan on guitar. Straight rhythm and blues. But...



Fabulous Thunderbirds - Roll of the Dice

..I like this later one better. No Vaughan on guitar, but Kid Ramos ain't no slough on guitar either. The overall sound on the album is a bit heavier then Hot Number. Starting of with the title track, which is one of my favorites from the album, showcasing the excellent harp work by Kim Wilson. Other highlights are How Do I Get You Back?, I Don’t Wanna Be The One, Mean Love, Looking Forward to Looking Back and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah (hey, did you ran out of lyrics there, mr. Wilson?).




ZZ Top - Degüello
I never get tired of this one. Probably the favorite album of my favorite band. Starts of with a great cover Sam and Dave’s "I Thank You"; lyrics modified ZZ style. The only two tracks from this album that made it to the Greatest Hit album are Cheap Sunglasses and I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide. Great songs, but I can't understand why A Fool for You Stockings didn't make the cut. It's probably ZZ Top best song. Period. Senõr Gibbons guitar tone is slightly cleaner then on the previous albums, which I really like. A true classic.


So, what's in your car stereos this week?

6 comments:

Wilhelm said...

This week, eh?
Well, there's:
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Power/neoclassical/prog metal from New Jersey's finest. Michael Romeo is absolutely astonishing.

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Prog metal from New York. This album is perhaps the best combination of progressive and melodic segments I've ever heard.

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Facing The Animal
It's Yngwie. What more could you possible need to know.

Kids - Hits Fra Kids
Ingebrigtsen and Flakne were and are really good songwriters. Kind of the Norwegian Per Gessle.

TNT - Big Bang: Essential Collection
More Dag Ingebrigtsen, actually, as e.g. 10,000 Lovers was written by him.

Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm
'Cause it makes your car go faster.

Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance
It's got "Through Osiris' Eyes" and "Aegean Shores" on it.

Gylne Tider 2 - 80-tallets største hits
What? Did I hear you snicker?

Firewind - Burning Earth
..at least i think it's been in our car this week.

Maybe an interesting topic would be what songs you'd put on a road-compilation (10 songs).

Anders said...

Maybe an interesting topic would be what songs you'd put on a road-compilation (10 songs).

Ohy! This is my post, you can't just go ahead and change there rules here, buster! ;-)

Anyway, I'm surprised by the Gylne Tider 2 complication. Is it music from the TV show?

Wilhelm said...

It's music from artists included in the TV show, yes.....

Gotta throw in some variety.

Unknown said...

This week for me :

Les Fatals Picards
The band that represented France at Eurovision. Some very funny songs

Pulp- This is hardcore
The best album of the band. Jarvis Cocker at his maximum.

REM- New Adventures in HiFi
Also probably the best album of the band (at least my favourite). Perfect for driving

Wilhelm said...

Les Fatals Picards

Are their other songs in half french/half English as well?

And don't you get depressed by listening to REM in the car? Doesn't the wheel start to veer to the left just a little? ;-)

Anders said...

And don't you get depressed by listening to REM in the car?

You can't get depressed by shiny happy people, can you?
:-)

And please refrain from any further Eurovision song contest references. The title clearly states "music".