Sunday, May 25, 2008

Answers Guitar Quiz Bonus Round - Part II

So here are the answers to the second round of the guitar quiz bonus round, part deux.

Song 6: John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom
...boom boom boom boom. I've seen this title with varing number of "Boom's", so I accept every answer that contains Boom (My Heart Goes Boom being a notably exception). I just had to include a song by the boogie master himself. Hooker did also have one of the best blues voices ever. Great song, and even if it's blues, this is has become a standard tune that everybody knows and have heard.

Song 7: ZZ Top - La Grange
and what more fitting to follow up JLH with the boogie masterpiece of ZZ Top? The copyright holders of John Lee Hooker actually sued ZZ Top, claiming that La Grange was a rip off of Boogie Chillun' (a song that ZZ Top did live). One of ZZ Top's first great hits, and still remains a signature tune and killer live concert song. But we all know that this is a total rip-off from Reverende Willy's Blues Mob - Anders Boogie, which is the original:


Song 8: Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
Great Zep tune, and it became even greater after Robert Plant recorded an acoustic version with Rainer Ptacek on guitar. Used to listen to some Zep when I was younger, reminds me that I need to fill some holes in my record collection.

Song 9: Eric Clapton - Running on Faith
This is orignally from the Journeyman album, but I've recored the intro from Unplugged. The dobro part is still on the electric version, so the tune should be recognizable even if you've only heard the Journeyman. The fact that nobody got this one rights, just shows that there is a huge sound difference between a Dobro and a National. Right?

Song 10: Bruce Springsteen - Glory Days
From the Born In The USA album. This is the Boss just as commercial as I like him. Great album; yes, even the 80's had some really great albums.

Song 11: Bruce Springsteen - I'm On Fire
My favorite tune from Born In The USA. I was surprised to see that others also has this as a favorite tune. Since it's not included on the Greatest Hits album I thought that this was a little gem that has slipped under the rader for most. And the guitar part is not really in front on this on either. So respect to all whole got this one right (though it probably was much easier when I added Glory Days and said it was from the same album).


And here are the results from the Norwegian televotes:
Pigeon - 6 points
Cathy - 7 points

And the final 9 points go to...
Sondre and Wilhelm.

Which leaves this total score:
Pigeon - 12 points
Cathy, Sondre andWilhelm - 11 points

Congrats to the dynamic duo of Sondre and Wilhelm, and to Pigeon for still keeping being a bird's head ahead of the competition.

That's it for this round. Keep on pickin' ;-)

8 comments:

Wilhelm said...

Congrats, Piggy-boi! And good job with the quiz, Anders!

Used to listen to some Zep when I was younger, reminds me that I need to fill some holes in my record collection

...with something OTHER than Zep, I'm naively hoping? Perhaps I can be of assistance with some suggestions and stuff..

The fact that nobody got this one rights, just shows that there is a huge sound difference between a Dobro and a National.

Yeah...that's probably it, homie...

Anders said...

...with something OTHER than Zep, I'm naively hoping? Perhaps I can be of assistance with some suggestions and stuff..

Yeah, I think one Zep album would be good. Although it won't cover the massive holes of 80's neo-classical metal in my record collection, though. If I only knew somebody who could guide me through the oversized pirate shirts, tight leather pants and big hairs to find the gems of true neo-classical metal...

just shows that there is a huge sound difference between a Dobro and a National.

Yeah...that's probably it, homie...


Yeah, it must be. I can't see any other reason. It's Clapton (one of the most talked about guitarist on this blog) and featured on two famous records. Must be the guitar sound.
;-)

Wilhelm said...

If I only knew somebody who could guide me through the oversized pirate shirts, tight leather pants and big hairs to find the gems of true neo-classical metal...

....I hear Pigeon is a fan of pirate shirts.......

Wilhelm said...

...here's my take on teh songs, for what it's worth:

John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom

Never was a big fan of JLH, but that changed somewhat when I listened to "The Healer", featuring Santana. That was powerful stuff, in my opinion, and showcased JLH's music as a transitional vessel for other styles...very cool

ZZ Top - La Grange

.....also known as "Satch Boogie" played at half speed, right Anders? ZZ Top's got some mighty good songs - gotta admit that.

Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

...I used to play in a gigging band, so you better believe I had this one.

Eric Clapton - Running on Faith

Back in the day, everyone and their mother were going on about how phenomenal Journeyman was - even hordes of people not otherwise susceptible to the lo-watt power of Clapton's electric blues. Much like William in Mallrats, I fail to see the beautiful image hidden behind layers and layers of trite, run-of-the-mill cliché guitar work and vocals which should have been left to professionals. Meh.

Bruce Springsteen - Glory Days

The Boss, man - gotta know The Boss. Especially seeing as how this tune hails from his glory days, aka Born In The USA.

Bruce Springsteen - I'm On Fire

Believe it or not - I recognized this one right away, as it's one of my favorite Springsteen tunes. In my opinion, The Boss has his finest moments when doing low-key, unassuming stuff like this rather than, for example, Born In The USA.

So does this mean no part trix or whatever comes after douche in french?

Anders said...

Never was a big fan of JLH, but that changed somewhat when I listened to "The Healer", featuring Santana. That was powerful stuff, in my opinion, and showcased JLH's music as a transitional vessel for other styles...very cool

The Healer, especially the title track, was a really comeback for both JLH and Santana. When it comes to John Lee Hooker, I do agree that there was a periode where his releases wasn't great. I'm still looking for some live recordings of JLH, solo or with a small band. They are amazing, especially tunes like Crawlin' Kingsnake. Keeping it simple, with that great voice in front and a sparse rhythm in the back. That's the blues!

.....also known as "Satch Boogie" played at half speed, right Anders? ZZ Top's got some mighty good songs - gotta admit that.

Nah. Both are a rip off from Anders Boogie. (sorry, forgot to include the track in my original post. Nobody will know I added it later, if we can keep this between the two of us. Right?)

Re Whole Lotta Love
...I used to play in a gigging band, so you better believe I had this one.

Actually, it jused to be the intro tune to my favorite radio blues show with Geir Hovig from when back, as well.

Re: EC
Yeah, Journeyman is a bit on the slick side, but that's the 80's for ya'. Some of my favrites on that one includes Pretending, Running on Faith, Old Love and Lead Me On (great vocals by Linda Womack on that one). The cover of Before You Accuse Me is also pretty good, but I still don't consider this a blues album.

In my opinion, The Boss has his finest moments when doing low-key
Amen to that, brother!

Anders said...

So does this mean no part trix or whatever comes after douche in french?

Not today it isn't. But if this is still fun, I have some material on the block that I could record during the week for a final round.

LOL on the "douche"...
;-)

Wilhelm said...

Actually, it jused to be the intro tune to my favorite radio blues show with Geir Hovig from when back, as well.

Hovigs Hangar?

Not today it isn't. But if this is still fun, I have some material on the block that I could record during the week for a final round.

That'd be great........I can still catch up to the french one given one more round......I'm like Rocky all up in this motherfu*ker :-)

Anders said...

Hovigs Hangar?

Yes, some incarnation of that. The title of the show has changed over the years, so I can't remember what it was called when Whole lotta Love was the title melody. But that's the one.

I can still catch up to the french one given one more round......I'm like Rocky all up in this motherfu*ker :-)

LOL