Saturday, March 29, 2008

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

So I tried to watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas featuring Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro. Two great actors, which normally would be a good sign. However, this is the crappiest movie I've seen in a long, long time. It's based on a novel by some dude (can't remember who), and I think the idea is to give a portrait of a drug trip or something. But it fails. It is just plain boring to watch. It's not funny, it's not interesting and it doesn't make you think anything special about drugs/ drug abuse (good or bad). Force myself through about an hour, and then I couldn't take it any more. Two thumbs down!

8 comments:

Wilhelm said...

Amen to that, brotha'.

I'm thinking that public showings of this movie constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. It's probably on at eight every damn day at Gitmo

Anders said...

You've seen it? If so, what was the point/ storyline and how did it end?

Wilhelm said...

The dude who had his mind set on disputing the "room full of monkeys with typewriters" theory in this case is Hunter Thompson, no?

As far as I could tell, there was no point. Neither was there a coherent storyline.

Compared to this, any Steven Segal movie is to be considered a freakin' masterpiece.

Damn hung-over art school drop-out fiesta hyped up by coked-out movie critics

Unknown said...

Damn !!!!!

For once I agree with you guys. I've stopped it after 1/2 hour.I don't understand why this so called movie is now considered cult.

Anders said...

Yes, I do think the author in question is Hunter Thompson. Haven't read the book, so it could be great for all I know.

Also, in most cases "cult classic" = turkey.

Anders said...

Interesting, it seems that of the three of us, Wilhelm is the only one who managed to sit through the whole movie. I wouldn't have guess that; I think he has stop midway through a movie more often then I have.

Unknown said...

So you're saying that V to da V secretly loved Falilv but pretends not to for obscure reasons.

Interesting

Wilhelm said...

Pigeon: You just stopped watching because you realized it wasn't called "12 Monkeys In Las Vegas" after all, didn't you?

Btw; nice use of my "Are you saying that..." bit