Thursday, June 14, 2007

Symphony X and Dream Theater in Oslo....

..September 29th, and we're so there. Finally I'll get to see one of my favorite bands - Symphony X - live (see my wish list a couple of posts down). Yesssss.

I know, I know - the headliners are Dream Theater, but I'd rather have it the other way around. Mind you; Dream Theater rules, as can be seen in this live version of "Another Day". Also; check out this clip of DT covering Pantera's "Cemetery Gates" (including guests Russel Allen and Dave Mustaine). If you've heard the original - and you should've, you'll notice how John Petrucci is nowhere near playing Dime's patented off-the-wall whammy bar harmonics, despite Petrucci being the far more technical guitar player. The one thing that really stuck in my memory from having played one of Dime's guitars is the blunt force trauma gain that sucker produced. The combo of the Dean and the Bill Lawrence pickups was capable of producing harmonics (not to mention feedback) without even trying. Insane output.

Still; the pearl of the line-up is Symphony X. Check out live clips of "Inferno" and "Of Sins And Shadows". Absolutely breath-taking! Russel Allen is an awesome singer, but more importantly (at least for me), Michael Romeo is one of the best guitar players ever. Dude's like 0.85 Yngwie Malmsteen. The total effortlessness with which he plays those incredible runs, sweeps and taps is almost unparallelled. Back to the metronome for me....

Also, if all the stars are aligned just right and the bulletin board rumors are true, Pagan's mind might also be on the bill. Check out "Aegean Shores" - damn how I wish I wrote this one.

No comments: