Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Power Ballad of the Day September 16th

Today: "Lisa" by Lita Ford:



Beautiful song by a great artist. I know the obvious choice would've been "Close My Eyes Forever" - the duet with Ozzy Osbourne, but I feel that a) this song is vastly superior, b) it better showcases the phenomenal guitarist Lita Ford, and c) the duet doesn't give Lita enough space by far - it's all about the Ozz.

Lita Ford is a true pioneer of heavy metal in that she succeeded in a very male-dominated genre, with predominantly male audiences.

Moreover, Lita Ford is a true musician and songwriter rather than just a poster girl. I remember watching the VH1 Behind The Music about her and seeing one prominent LA rocker after another giving her all kinds of props and - more to the point - in one case took her aside right after she got a record deal and told her that she was more than talented enough that she didn't have to work the sex angle to sell metal.

Of course, the flip side is that the next time David Lee Roth saw her on MTV, she was down on all four, licking an ice cube, so either she didn't heed his advice or the record company wouldn't let her.

Be that as it may, Lita Ford is a heavy metal musician's musician, and this song is a kick-ass power ballad. So there.

5 comments:

Torbjørn said...

Why can't I remember this song?

I'd go for "close my eyes forever", since... I don't remember this song.

Wilhelm said...

Dunno'

It's a kick-ass song though, right?

Torbjørn said...

Definitely.
I had one of her albums once, don't think this song was on that one.

Wilhelm said...

..the one with "Kiss me Deadly", "Shot Of Poison" and "Blueberry" on it, right?

Torbjørn said...

Yeah.
Don't remember "Shot of poison", though.