Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday frustrations...

Warning: Friday blow-out below

Some days I really get reminded why I hate my job, and (surprise, surprise) it often includes the IT-deparment or some other function that's not a part of my department.

I really started yesterday when I was typing out a validation report in our laboratory information management system (LIMS). Tried to save the document, and the freaking disk was full. Since this is a protected system, I can't save the document offline, so I really got it in my shorts. The great thing is that I had the same experience just a month ago (which is basically the last time I used the system). The IT department then claimed they've allocated waste storage space for us and had calculations the showed that this would last for years. Apparently those calculations were less solid then Wilhelm's feeble attempts on the guitar quiz scores. So now I'm stuck with a document I've invested time and effort in, which can't be saved and will disapear if the computer shuts down. And any further work in the LIMS system is out of the question. Great. I have four documents in there to update, and the deadline is Easter.

Well, being the ideal employee and diligent worker I am, I made myself busy and checked if everything was OK in the routine lab. I've asked the same IT department for back-up space for instrument data two months ago, starting with 35 GB and then 20 GB more per year. The IT-department made space available on the network, but I had forgot to transfer the data. Checking the disk, I found it had 28 GB free space on it. For storing 35 GB of data. Epic math skills fail again!

In addition, I'm mowing my instrumentation to a new lab after Easter. But there is yet no gas, the power supply capacity not up to instrument spec.'s, there is no cooling and the ventilation doesn't work, all which is needed to run my instruments. I've been asked to focus on the positive sides of the new facilities, and I figured that at least it got walls and a door. For now, I'm doing my best to focus on that part.

TGIF!

4 comments:

Wilhelm said...

Appearantly those calculations were less solid then Wilhelm's feeble attempts on the guitar quiz scores.

HEEEEYYYY.....I resent that.....it's just math where the inherent beauty of symbols and integrals are diluted by *shudder* actual numbers I suck at... I'm an academic - I don't do practical applications.

Checking the disk, I found it had 28 gb free space on i. To store 35 gb of data. Epic math skills again!

Sounds like a PowerPoint presentation waiting to happen where you show that - the speed of light being constant - 35 > 28. The nerds might have a point though - spatial constraints are being overcome on a daily basis. I've personally seen what amounts to ten pounds of $hit being confined in a five-pound bag

I've been asked to focus on the positive sides of the new building, and I figured out the at least it got walls and a door. For now, I'm doing my best to focus on that.

....less unplanned instrument down time?

Anders said...

HEEEEYYYY.....I resent that.....

I know, I know. I just added that bit so that the "...being the ideal employee and diligent worker I am"-part would be left undisputed...

I've personally seen what amounts to ten pounds of $hit being confined in a five-pound bag

LOL.
You're quite right. I retract my previous comment, and will immediately start transferring my ~35GB data to the 28GB disk.

....less unplanned instrument down time?

:-D
Great point. Now the downtime isn't unplanned anymore...

Wilhelm said...

I know, I know. I just added that bit so that the "...being the ideal employee and diligent worker I am"-part would be left undisputed...

..well played, boss

You're quite right. I retract my previous comment, and will immediately start transferring my ~35GB data to the 28GB disk.

That's the spirit. Keep leveraging that synergy..

Great point. Now the downtime isn't unplanned anymore...

It sure SOUNDS better that way, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Which LIMS system are you using? Are you familiar with STARLIMS? I really recommend you take a look. Maybe you could advise your IT department about it. I've been told that this system is very good.