Saturday, June 7, 2008

Answers GQ2: The Revenge - Round 1

So now that the dust has settled, here are the answers to GQ2: The Revenge - Round 1.
  • Song 101: Dire Straits - Walk Of Life: None of y'all got this one, which quite frankly surprised teh hell out of me. Ok; I didn't include the famous keyboard intro (although a guitar version of that one might not help that much), and admittedly I put a little more overdrive on the single-coil tone from my 'S than what Mr. Knopfler does, but I still thought this would be instantly recognizable. Oh well; not my favorite DS song anyhoo, despite having played it many, many times.
  • Song 102: Queen - Love Of My Life: My take on the "Live Killers" version. Awesome tune. Never got to do this live, as we never had a singer capable of pulling off any Mercury songs. So; I used the intro as a segue to "Neste Sommer" by Norwegian band DeLillos.
  • Song 103: TnT - 10,000 Lovers (In One): Only one of y'all got this one, despite my feeble attempts at adding Ronni Tekrø-style machine-gunning at the back end of the track. Great riff!
  • Song 104: Helloween - Dr. Stein: Only one of y'all got this one as well. Really kewl tune from the band that invented power metal and got MTV airplay...including for this one.
  • Song 105: Ac/Dc - Back In Black: Oh yes - all y'all found it. The song has too few damn notes in it, so I was forced to add a little tapped lick at the conclusion of the chorus.
This means that the Score after Round 1 and also Total Score looks like this:
  1. Sondre (6 points)
  2. Cathy/Anders/Pigeon (4 points)
Congrats to Sondre
and good luck with Round 2.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dire Straits - Walk Of Life
not my favorite DS song anyhoo, despite having played it many, many times.


Yes, this is also the song I skip on the Brother in Arms album. Overplayed. I didn't get it because, uhm, it didn't play very well on my computer?

Queen - Love Of My Life
Queen is OK, but I can't seem to recall this tune.

Song 103: TnT - 10,000 Lovers (In One): Only one of y'all got this one, despite my feeble attempts at adding Ronni Tekrø-style machine-gunning at the back end of the track.

Yes, I do agree that it takes a decent amount of musical knowledge and trained ear to recognize this tune.

Helloween - Dr. Stein
Well known tune, only .38 special have more classic tunes under their belt then Helloween. Can't believe I missed this one. :-D

Ac/Dc - Back In Black
First riff you taught me, chief. Maybe I still bearly remember some of it. But it is so signatur AC/DC and a classic, so it was easy.

Wilhelm said...

his is also the song I skip on the Brother in Arms album. Overplayed. I didn't get it because, uhm, it didn't play very well on my computer?

Agreed - overplayed. My version might have sounded too generic though, as n one of y'all got it. And I'm SURE that everybody and their mother have heard this song many, many times, so...

Yes, I do agree that it takes a decent amount of musical knowledge and trained ear to recognize this tune.

LOL..of course ya do......

Can't believe I missed this one.

For shame, Anders - for shame ;-)

First riff you taught me, chief. Maybe I still bearly remember some of it. But it is so signatur AC/DC and a classic, so it was easy.

Really? I would've thought it was some 12-bar blues standard progression.

Unknown said...

Really? I would've thought it was some 12-bar blues standard progression.

Yes, but 12 bar blues doesn't count as a riff, no?

Wilhelm said...

...ahh I overlooked that point