Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Reflections in Am

So; this is post number 125, and I thought it would be a good idea to see where we're at. When I started m-factor, I thought of it as a place to write about non-scientific material and dump some random thoughts. Let's use the awesome powers of statistics to see what topics we deal with the most.

As you can see on the right, there are 21 categories, of which 2 can easily be lumped together ("guitar" and "guitars", "Nonsense" and "Utterly nonsense"), which leaves 19. A pie chart depicting the relative occurrence of topics would then look like:


It would appear that General and Nonsense topics prevail, which was kind of predictable, I guess. The high percentage of posts dealing with politics I assume emanates from this being an election year, and all stats being from just before and immediately after the election. Cleaning up the data set further, we can eliminate "General" as a separate category, seeing as how this is a co-label for many of the posts (i.e. these is a strong cross-correlation between this label and other labels, and as such it is not an independent variable, just to be "That Guy"). That gives the following picture:



Suggesting that the content on this page is about 38% nonsense, 12% movies, 10% guitars, 10% politics, and 6% music, with some other topics strewn in for good measure. Does this sound right to y'all?

Hint: There's another statistical no-no in here......

6 comments:

Anders said...

The "utterly nonsens" isn't the same as nonsens. The Utterly nonsens category is stricktly for head garment for the fashinable young, Kir Royal drinking stud. I had to point this out.

Anyway, I guess there are several other categories that can be lumped together: Education/ Academica, Nonsens/ Frustration, etc. Also, the Nonsens category are also usually co-labelled with other categories. Still, I think around 40% nonsens is a pretty accurate description of this blog... ;-)

Wilhelm said...

Damn! I thought you'd forgotten everything about cross-correlations and codependent variables.

Oh well; ownage for me, I guess.

40% sounds about right. 8-D

Anders said...

Cross-correlations? Does that has something to do with leather caps? Or is that cross-dressing? I always mix up those two...
;-)

Wilhelm said...

Yeah; you weren't too fond of physical chemistry, as I can recall. This goes a long way to explaining why.

;-D

Anders said...

Even though all the cool guys were physical chemist, I wasn't attracted to it. Chicks dig a statistician...

Btw, I think our high school physics teacher will have to take his share of the responsability for my lack of interest in physical chemistry...

Wilhelm said...

Yeah; chicks really dig statisticians. They have to fight off the opposite sex with big sticks.

Das' da word on da STREET